[Asterisk-Users] unlocking cisco 7940 phone

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Sep 19 14:38:55 MST 2005

> Unfortunately, it didn't work.  Do you know any other ways?
>

> Brian S. Reale
> President
>
> Colosa Inc.
> Tel:  305.675.1400 ext. 201
> Fax: 305.402.0282
> www.colosa.com
> www.ProcessMaker.com

I just had to do one the other day; the phone shipped with mgcp installed
with some Doctors name appearing on the screen. It had been locked down
pretty tight.

The only way that I could do it is to use a sniffer (eg, ethereal) to
see the IP addresses it was trying to reach.

I then put the phone on a network that had a linux server with that
exact addressd on it. The phone happily read the tftp files that I
had prestaged on the linux server, and upgraded itself to the sip image.

The upgrade process wiped out all passwords, etc, and reset the phone
to factory defaults for sip (except for the password, which I specified
in a tftp config file).

Once that was done, I could access the phone menues just fine and reset
everything to the way that I wanted it.

If you're not comfortable reading packet traces, then you'll probably
have to send the phone to someone that is.