[Asterisk-Users] Who is going to AstriCon (The Asterisk Conference)?

Steven Sokol steven.sokol at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 07:39:02 MST 2005

[snip]

> As for topics, I enjoyed Madrid, but feel there are 2 tracks to be
> seen there:
>      1) pragmatists - What can I do with Asterisk? Business Drivers.
> For them you want case studies, some forward looking announcements, and
> loads of demos of edgy configs. Plus economics - eg 8 line PRI costs
> £13/month/channel in the UK - but 40 in France (or what ever)

True.  We do have some business-focus.  A few of both the tutorials
and the conference sessions are business topics and industry
perspectives.  We want to strike a comfortable balance between the
entrepreneurial community and the hard-core technical community (which
is in some ways a challenge).

>      2) Developers - We want a chance to hack code with our cohort -
> the most productive thing in Madrid for me was 2 mins of Mark's time
> expaining why I had misunderstood IAX2 protocol.
> For this I think you could have a coding day, coffee pizza, good
> internet
> and a sprinkling of gurus, I think you'd get loads of projects
> started/finished/polished.

That is an awesome suggestion!  We'll do it!  We have a room we've
labeled the "Email Garden".  We'll rename it the Code Domain or
something and try to get at least one guru to man the desk in there,
dispensing advice as well as pizza and Red Bull.  The room was already
set to look like a big living room with lots of wired and wireless.
We'll just turn it into a coding center.  We can even bring in some
hardware so people can "lab up" scenarios which require a full
Asterisk with TDM cards, etc.

(Anybody out there want to volunteer to bring in the hardware?)

-S