[Asterisk-Users] ZyXEL P662HW / SIP / Crashing

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Thu Sep 15 18:24:14 MST 2005

Set Wild guess mode on (I'm not familiar with zyxel).:

asterisk-users wrote:

>Has anyone experiences this please: -
>
>We were running a number of ZyXEL P662HW-61 routers at our sites and all
>traffic was being sent over IP-SEC VPN's between devices.
>
>When we moved to a new architecture, we got rid of the VPN links so that
>the SIP traffic was running directly through the routers.  Each site
>uses Snom 360 devices with the latest firmware (v4).

This means SIP/call signalling and RTP traffic, I assume. Have you
pinpointed which traffic is the culprit ?
(maybe with routing for the SIP proxy via one router, and for the media
gateways end points via another ? or SIP via tunnel, rtp outside ?)

>Ever since we did this, the routers have been crashing at least 5 times
>per day.  They appear to carry out a full cold start each time (as
>though they are having a kernel panic).  The ISP is Nildram in the UK,
>but we have also experienced this a few times with another router in
>France on a France Telecom system.
>
>As soon as we route the SIP traffic via another router, stability
>returns to the network.  Our supplier has been very helpful and we have
>tested every release of the firmware from the last 8 months, but they
>all behave the same once SIP is being transmitted.
>
>The routers are running with their most basic configuration now, but
>this doesn't appear to make any difference.

Seems like these boxes can do some level of SIP "ALG", looking/messing
around with the SIP header.
Can you disable this ? You depend in the SIP ALG to handle NAT or
something like that ?

>Does this sound familiar to anyone please?  We are out our wits end and
>our supplier has no ideas (and neither do ZyXEL it would appear).
>
>For reference, all traffic is being sent through using G.729, but I
>don't think that this makes any difference.

If you identify what is the traffic (RTP or SIP), next step would be to
identify what is the exact trigger (like, if is SIP, is a memory leak in
INVITEs passing via the ALG and goes on)