[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk 1.0.9 long term stability

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Sep 14 10:51:19 MST 2005

lol that was me ironic that I just hijacked this thread and said that
reboots are not a bad thing! It's true I do have 30 IAX/SIP boxen that I
don't reboot, they are all "slave" servers to the IAX/SIP/PRI "master"
server, which I *do* reboot every night. The 30 boxen I did by cloning a
single hdd and making specific changes to each box.

this underscores the importance of documenting everything, which I did for
the 30, after I had what I felt was a good config, I documented each single
step to clone the config, getting right down to things like reflashing the
bios, and making sure that a specific brand and rev of nic was in a specific
slot, and that nic used a specific IRQ, and that certain hdw like the
onboard sound card in the chassis was disabled. Armed with such a document,
a third party can come in and easily re-create your work, or troubleshoot
it. The trick is getting the config just right in the first place. As I have
said before, a lot of these issues can be resolved before they happen simply
by not using random hardware and random distro, and to that end, it might
serve Digium well to have a posted HCL and / or sell a certified barebones
box and certify Asterisk on a specific RedHat and / or Debian, and if you
use anything else, well, tough.

I, myself, would prefer to buy this cerified solution instead of sweating
through a from-scratch config and crossing your fingers and hoping it is
stable. I'm sure a lot of other guys on this list would jump on it as well.