[Asterisk-Users] Skype purchased by Ebay 2.6 Billion

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon Sep 12 13:14:52 MST 2005

I hope we see very strict privacy protection and information sharing
laws passed. That's the thing that scares me most about companies buying
other companies for the user base. I have seen many online privacy
policies stating that information is exchanged between companies owned
by the same mega-corp. I would love to see a law that requires a real
signature on hardcopy in order to do that much info sharing.

I can't knock paypal. I use them when I don't want to give cc or bank
numbers directly to a new vendor. I also have one of their free debit
cards and I love it. They decline transactions if the funds are not
there. My bank will pay the transaction and then charge me $22 for
overdrafting the account. Thanks to paypal the card numbers I use for
things like travel, gas and groceries don't wind up in a bunch of
internet vendor databases. My risks are limited to the amount I transfer
from my bank account to paypal(no charge for that).

Anyway, paypal is not a monopoly. In most cases they are cheaper than
bank wire transfer or moneygram. Within the US I pay a lot less than
3.5% taking credit cards directly, even less for echecks. Just about
anybody in the US can get the same deal I get. The thing to remember is
that ther is about $30/month in fees to pay if you don't actually have
any transactions. So anybody who only collects about $10k or less a year
with a paypal business account is not getting such a bad deal at all.
Anybody over that volume can get a real merchant account. The last one I
got was for a new corp that I formed. Everything was done with phone,
email and fax. I started the process on a Wednesday morning. I had the
visa/mc merchant number the next day and by Friday had my authorize.net
virtual terminal, amex and discover all set up.