[Asterisk-Users] Skype purchased by Ebay 2.6 Billion

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Mon Sep 12 12:00:48 MST 2005

That theory sounds great on paper, but consider some of the factors
below.

1) On the web there are no loyalties. Today it is Skype but tomorrow
certainly belongs to GoogleTalk, if they can put Encryption. How
difficult is that to do? Whose quality is better? Skype or Googletalk? I
read that already 10% of the Skype users have migrated to Googletalk and
the numbers are soaring. Googletalk is still in Beta.

2)Paying users of payPal are hardly 5% of the 75 Million that they are
boasting of. And the numbers are coming down as PayPal has come to be
known as a 'PreyPal' of late. Many have stopped using this when the
charges have started ripping them off at 6% of the transfer amount for
International payments (even between canada and USA) and about 3.5%
within USA.

3)What is the percentage of paying users of Skype? 1%  - 2%, may be.
These customers may already be Ebay's customers.

Ebay seems to be going like Time Warner buying AOL because it's user
base. There are several similarities in this deal.

Skype is cool, it has good stuff in it. How much effort does it take for
Google to add these features and make the googlers start using Google
Talk - a month or may be two.

My 0.02 cents

Seshu Kanuri