[Asterisk-Users] Debian Sarge, Kernel 2.6.13 and AVM Fritz!PCI v2.0 card

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Mon Sep 12 12:23:53 MST 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 06:26:31PM +0200, Rainer Maier wrote:

> Hi Jon,
> perfect instructions, thank you very much.
> I used them and after some tests they worked.
>
> Here is what I did. Maybe someone could use it completely:
> Install helpers:
> apt-get install kernel-package ncurses-dev fakeroot wget bzip2
>
> Go to usr directory:
> cd /usr/src
> wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.13.1.tar.bz2
>
> Unpack the kernel sources and change into directory:
> tar xjf linux-2.6.13.1.tar.bz2
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.13.1 /usr/src/linux cd linux/

That should not be necessary. Generally, one cannot assume that there is
just "one kernel" and it is dangerous to assume /usr/src/linux matches the
running kernel.

See comment below.

Basically, extract the kernel under a directory. Optionally patch it.

make menuconfig

Now you have a tree with your desired .config file.

You run 'make-kpkg buildpackage --rootcmd fakeroot'

One of the resulting packages is a kernel-image package . Another one is
a kernel-headers package. Install the kernel-image on the target machine
(obviously) and kernel-headers on the build machine.

The kernel-headers package could be used instead of the complete kernel
source . Thus the convension can be to look for the "kernel source"
in /usr/src/kernel-headers-`uname -r` .

> copy /boot/config-2.v.v.v to /usr/src/linux/.
> It is normally a good idea to take the configuration of your existing
> (working!) kernel 2.6 as a starting point for the configuration of your new
> kernel. Usually the current kernel configuration is saved in a file under
> /boot, e.g. /boot/config-2.6.3. We will load this configuration and then do
> the changes we desire.
>
> make oldconfig
> make menuconfig
> check for ->fs->EXT2 ->driver->ATA is included in kernel make
> OR:
> Load alternative config (i.e. config-2.v.v.v) and then store the new one.
> make
>
> Then run the following commands (please note that make dep is not needed any
> more for kernel 2.6):
> make-kpkg kernel_image
>
> If no error occurs you will find the new kernel as a Debian package called
> kernel-image-2.6.x.x_custom.1.0_i386.deb under /usr/src.

Again, it doesn't have to be /usr/src . The point is not to build as
root (fakeroot is used to overcome some small packaging problems)

> cd ../
>
> Install new kernel:
> dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.13.1_i386.deb
>
> Create a ramdisk of your new kernel (otherwise your system will most likely
> not boot):
> cd /boot/
> mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.13.1 2.6.13.1 reboot

That should not be required. Normally that is done automatically by the
postinst script of the kernel (if neeeded).

> Then I run your procedures.
> I think I would not have needed the CVS system maybe except for the updates
> of packets in the future.
> I could have downloaded it directly from isdn4linux.
> But anyhow, all drivers are loaded now.
>
> I still have the problem that asterisk complains he could not load
> chan_capi.c there would not be any CAPI installed.
> Any idears why and how I could get it running.
> I must admit I don't have a clue how asterisks knows of exactly this file.

Could you please give the exact error message? And all the messages
related to chan_capi?