[Asterisk-Users] Hotel Setup?

Kurth Bemis kurth at ozonecomputer.com
Mon Sep 12 04:53:07 MST 2005

I am working with a small inn (under 50 rooms) that is next to a ski
resort.  The inn just had Cat5e Homeruns to each room installed, with a
patch panel in the basement.  Now it's my job to connect each of the
those rooms to the Internet.  I think I have a Cisco switch that I can
do Private VLANS with, however I thought of another solution.

Has anybody seen or does anybody know of a VoIP hardphone that has
router instead of a switch?  I could connect the phone to the router,
give IP addresses based on the phone's MAC, and then the client can
connect thier computer to the phone.  Because each phone/room would be
on a different subnet, they wouldn't be able to see one another.  Then I
could save them 6k on Cisco gear and maybe some headaches?

Has anyone seen anything like this?  Or does anyone have a better idea?

~kurth