[Asterisk-Users] civil emergency comms: Asterisk + HAM

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Sun Sep 11 13:04:41 MST 2005

Michael D Schelin wrote:

> The two best forms of communications in a real disaster and one always
> has been is #1 Ham radio. and #2 satellite telephone. Ham radio is
> global and has proven time and time again to be the most reliable when
> the infrastructer has been damaged.  The U.S government is the biggest
> user of satellite telephones which is also becoming a valuable tool
> again when the communications infrastructure is down.  It would be
> nice If Asterisk could be used but in this case but it's useless.
> People are displaced and most of the communications infrastructure for
> the city is unusable.  I don't mean all of the telco's systems. It's
> the flood that wiped out  most home and business systems.  For us, The
> best thing that a provider can do is to have redundant servers in
> different cities.  This should remind us all how fragile our lives are.

While I agree with your points, I think I was thinking along different
lines.  Your points are useful particularly for mobile units.  This is
important because you have to have some form of mobile communications
when you are doing disaster relief.  I am not saying that my suggestion
would relieve the need for Ham radio and Satellite telephone.  But
rather that this would allow you to do relatively quick infrastructure
building to fixed locations thus freeing up Ham operators to do what
they need to do-- offer mobile communications.  The idea here would be
that shelters, etc. could then use various line-of-site wireleass
connections to set up Asterisk and that these would not have to be moved
frequently.  Yes, it takes more electricity, but remember what I said
about strategic reserves of fuel for generators?

I was largely reacting to Mark Phillips' point about Ham radios being in
short supply in any sort of disaster.  The point is not to replace ham
radio but rather to maximize the potential of what can be done with the
existing number of operators.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting