[Asterisk-Users] civil emergency comms: Asterisk + HAM

Michael D Schelin mike at shelcomm.com
Sat Sep 10 22:19:53 MST 2005

The two best forms of communications in a real disaster and one always
has been is #1 Ham radio. and #2 satellite telephone. Ham radio is
global and has proven time and time again to be the most reliable when
the infrastructer has been damaged.  The U.S government is the biggest
user of satellite telephones which is also becoming a valuable tool
again when the communications infrastructure is down.  It would be nice
If Asterisk could be used but in this case but it's useless.  People are
displaced and most of the communications infrastructure for the city is
unusable.  I don't mean all of the telco's systems. It's the flood that
wiped out  most home and business systems.  For us, The best thing that
a provider can do is to have redundant servers in different cities.
This should remind us all how fragile our lives are.