[Asterisk-Users] rotate * log file?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun Sep 11 10:37:44 MST 2005

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 10:26:38AM -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:

> Running fc3 with current cvs-head...
>
> Is there a nice way to rotate the /var/log/asterisk/messages file without
> shutting down asterisk?
>
> I'm currently rotating the log files via cron, however my script requires
> asterisk to be shut down, which also kills any outstanding cli sessions
> (eg, asterisk -rvvvvv). Would like to rotate the files without killing
> the cli session. Any reasonable way to accomplish this?

Here's what Debian installs at /etc/logrotate.d/asterisk:

/var/log/asterisk/cdr-csv/Master.csv /var/log/asterisk/debug /var/log/asterisk/event_log /var/log/asterisk/messages {
        weekly
        missingok
        rotate 4
        sharedscripts
        postrotate
                /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d asterisk logger-reload
        endscript
}

Naturally the post-rotate script may differ on your system. logger-reload
is a glorified 'asterisk -rx logger reload' . logrotate is a standard part
of most linux distros.