[Asterisk-Users] civil emergency comms: Asterisk + HAM

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 10 15:08:03 MST 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 11:18:09PM +0200, f6hqz-m at hamwlan.net wrote:
> Oops !
> Sorry ! It seems that I have forgotten to replace my french characters as
> "?" by the correct sequence "é" as exemple.
> I have just modify this page and you can probably read it now (but it is in
> french only for now, I promess to translate this pages this next cold
> season).

I think I need to research character sets and possible load some that I
do not have.

> I have started some VPN under IPSec to separate public traffic from HAM's
> traffic as lawyers said in near all the countries.

HAM traffic must not be mixed with Internet?

> As I am self training on Asterisk from monthes and use one at my home for my
> own private telephone lines, I have think that it could be nice to connect
> my Asterisk box to my HamWlan network (without any telephone access because
> it is forbidden in France).

Interesting.  It's OK to have VoIP over Wi-Fi, and VoIP over HAM, but not PSTN
over HAM?  Of course, you could enable POTS on your ASterisk box and
simulate PSTN calls over HAM. Maybe you could get permission to demonstrate by
contacting some disaster relief agencies to show them some
possibilities.

> I am just starting to tell to some HAMs to join me and start some
> experimentations to see if Asterisk could be interesting for HAM use. HAMs
> are already using some kind of Internet VoIP as Skype or Echolink are
> (Echolink is a HAM network connecting people and radio equipments). With
> Asterisk, we can use conference rooms (mine is "7388 at hamwlan.net") or to
> share an UHF repeater linked to a room or a specific number.
>
> I have not enougth bandwith as I desire...
> I have two providers and the best is about 2.6 Mbs download and 650 kbs
> upload.
> The ideal way could be to place an asterisk in a ITSP white room with bigger
> bandwidth, but it is a dream only :-)

What is your bandwidth on the HAM radio links?  Is that even a good
question?

> For now, it is only the beginning, and I play to see if any HAM's interest.

Please keep the list and/or me personally informed.  I have a keen
interest in what you are doing.

--
Mike