[Asterisk-Users] civil emergency comms: Asterisk + HAM

f6hqz-m at hamwlan.net f6hqz-m at hamwlan.net
Sat Sep 10 14:18:09 MST 2005

Oops !
Sorry ! It seems that I have forgotten to replace my french characters as
"é" by the correct sequence "é" as exemple.
I have just modify this page and you can probably read it now (but it is in
french only for now, I promess to translate this pages this next cold
season).

HamWlan is now an "old" project from about 3 years old.
This was to preserve our sub-band shared on the 2.4 GHz by ISM band and UHF
HAM at WiFi market operture.
This could be a nice opportunity to test high speed radio or HAM services as
we have never seen until now (on HAM bands).
It is also to use our 44.x.x.x/8 IP addresses class reserved to our HAM
community.
I have started some VPN under IPSec to separate public traffic from HAM's
traffic as lawyers said in near all the countries.
This "HAM's hotspots" are connected as this through Internet if not possible
by radio link.

To attract HAMs to join this fun wireless project, I have added some
classical services encountered on Internet : SMTP/POP, H.323 video
conference and Jabber servers. I have also started an IP gateway between HF
7 MHz band and my IP local network.

As I am self training on Asterisk from monthes and use one at my home for my
own private telephone lines, I have think that it could be nice to connect
my Asterisk box to my HamWlan network (without any telephone access because
it is forbidden in France).
I am just starting to tell to some HAMs to join me and start some
experimentations to see if Asterisk could be interesting for HAM use. HAMs
are already using some kind of Internet VoIP as Skype or Echolink are
(Echolink is a HAM network connecting people and radio equipments). With
Asterisk, we can use conference rooms (mine is "7388 at hamwlan.net") or to
share an UHF repeater linked to a room or a specific number.

I have not enougth bandwith as I desire...
I have two providers and the best is about 2.6 Mbs download and 650 kbs
upload.
The ideal way could be to place an asterisk in a ITSP white room with bigger
bandwidth, but it is a dream only :-)
For now, it is only the beginning, and I play to see if any HAM's interest.

Best Regards,
73's from F6HQZ,
Francois BERGERET,
France.