[Asterisk-Users] MAX PRI for single server (was: Not enough linesavailable for Asterisk implemetation)

Chris Modesitt chris at octelecom.net
Thu Sep 8 07:45:40 MST 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:26, Simone Cittadini wrote:
>> Is it true ?
>> My boss is just asking me if it is possible to stuck 4* TE411P in a
>> single server, for a total of 480 lines, someone can assure me it is
>> possible/impossible (manageable/unmanageable) from real-life experience ?

>Don't do it.  The most I've seen in any RELIABLE setup is two TE4xx cards
in a
>decent server.

>Why would you want that many calls terminating on a single box anyway?  Why

>not use two or three boxes to spread the load out and also reduce the
chance
>of a problem on a box taking out your ENTIRE communications network?

>-A.

I would agree, I have tried to increase the density of the cards in real
decent servers (DL380 dual 3.06ghz P4 etc..) and all you get is a lot of
HDLC errors, static, echo and catastrophic failures.

If you are looking for real high density VOIP termination I would look at
something like a Lucent APX 8000, configure correctly it can pass 2500+
g.729 calls to the PSTN course we paid lots of $ for ours.

Chris