[Asterisk-Users] OT: Differences between test equipment

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Wed Sep 7 21:43:36 MST 2005

Hello!

Given the current discusison regarding ztmonitor, line testing, etc., I've
been looking into purchasing a used transmission test set.  From my
research, it seems that there are two items that might fit the bill:  the
HP 3551A and the HP 4935A.

I know nothing about these specific devices.  I *do* have a good
background in electronics, and I understand the concept what they're
measuring and why., but I know nothing about the specifics of how this
relates to transmission test sets!  :)  In fact, I'm not even sure that
these are indeed the right devices for the job.

Could someone who is familiar with either of these devices tell me if they
will fit the bill?  And if possible, which of these has more useful
features as telephone line test equipment?  I'm handy with an
oscilloscope, function generator, VOM, etc.  Will I be able to drive
either of these?

Tim Massey