[Asterisk-Users] How to connect many analog lines to Asterisk?

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Wed Sep 7 10:03:20 MST 2005

On Wed, September 7, 2005 18:11, Josip Gracin said:
> Darren Wright wrote:
>> Wow, first of all, if you have a hundred analog lines, you are doing
>> yourself a disservice.....a 4 T1's would be much much cheaper, and much
>> easier to manage.
>
> Let me clear this up a little bit.  There are hundreds of telephone
> devices inside the building, all connected to a PBX, and there is an
> E1/T1 connection to the PSTN (being statistically multiplexed,
> obviously).  What I'd like to do is to replace the PBX with Asterisk.
>
> I don't see how I can make the situation better by using 4 T1's?

You said you had 100 analog lines... What you meant is you have 100 analog
phones... Big difference... (OTOH, only a single letter: FXO -> FXS)  ;-)

But seriously, there really is a big difference whether you are trying to
connect 100 analog lines (i.o.w. 100 incoming POTS lines from the PSTN) or
100 analog phones... If you had 100 incoming POTS lines, 4 PRI spans would
be way cheaper and way easier, hence the advice!

>> Anyway, for 100 analog lines, I'd get 3 adit 600 channel banks and fill
>> them with FXO cards, and then buy 1 TE406 Quad T1 card for your asterisk
>> box.
>
> Thanks, I think that's what I need.

If you want 100 analog phones, make sure you get FXS cards in stead of FXO
cards... FXO cards are for incoming lines, FXS for phones...

(FXO stands for Foreign Exchange Office, ie PABX or PSTN, FXS for Foreign
Exchange Subscriber, ie telephones)

HTH

--
Francesco Peeters