[Asterisk-Users] Which Linux distribution?

John Daragon john at argv.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 04:48:51 MST 2005

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 10:10:05AM +0100, John Daragon wrote:
>
>>YT Lim wrote:
>>
>>>We have tried Asterisk 1.0.9 on FC4 and have never
>>>been able to get CAPI (with Fritz card, fcpci) to work
>>>properly. Apart from that Asterisk works fine in
>>>switching internal calls. But it's useless if we can't
>>>make outgoing calls on our ISDN line.
>>>
>>>We are considering abandoning FC4 for Debian or SuSe.
>>>What is the general concensus on the best Linux to run
>>>Asterisk with CAPI?
>>
>>SUSE (as far as I know) is the only distro that really *expects* you to
>>be using ISDN2e as a matter of course.
>

> "Only Linux distro that" is generally something that is a bit hasty to
> say, given the fact that there are so many of them ;-) .

You're absolutely right.

> Mandrake is quite Europe-centric as well. I'm not sure about ISDN
> support.

It's shipped with the packages; I looked at it when I first started
installing *, but couldn't get fcpci to work at the time.  CAPI appears
to have been written on (or for) SUSE in the first place, and SUSE was
the first distro I came across that supported ISDN2e out of the box.

> Debian has generally a large european installed base and a variety of
> ISDN-related packages as a result.
>
> Sorry, I won't make your life easier :-p

You mean it's *supposed* to be easy ?

jd

John Daragon                                          john at argv.co.uk
argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage,  Staple Fitzpaine,  Taunton,  TA3 5SL,  UK
v +44 (0) 1460 234068   f +44 (0) 1460 234069   m +44 (0) 7836 576127