[Asterisk-Users] PRI in and out

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 21:25:16 MST 2005

On 9/6/05, Rod Bacon <rod.bacon at empoweredcomms.com.au> wrote:
> I am wanting to front-end a legacy PBX with an asterisk box. I have done plenty
> of asterisk work over the last 6 months to PRI circuits, but not with a PBX
> being involved.
>
> I know I can use asterisk and digium cards in this manner, but do I need
> separate cards for the PRI -> Asterisk side to the Asterisk -> PBX side, or will
> a 4-port PRI card do the job? (I already have a spare one of these).

Yeah, it's always better to use a single quad card then a pair of single cards.

> In other words, can I use SPAN 1 as a timing source, then provide timing to the
> PBX connected to SPAN 2 of the same card?

Exactly.

Also set up the following (this is from a working example that I have
between an Avaya and asterisk and the provider, like this Avaya <>
Asterisk <> provider, span 1 is to provider, ans span 2 to Avaya):
/etc/zaptel.conf
setup your spans, with just the timing changed like you mention,
and set
bchan=1-23
dchan=24
span 2 goes here
then:
bchan=25-47
dchan=48
everythting else is the same.

/etc/asterisk/zapata.conf

the only difference between the first set of channels (1-23) and the
second set of channels (25-47) is:
signalling=pri_net
group=1
context = fromprovider
channel => 1-23
signalling = pri_cpe
group=2
context=fromavaya
channel=25-47

/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf
;this is for a system where I get 2500 thru 2599 as DIDs from the
provider whenever I move over a DID from the old system (avaya) to the
new (asterisk) I add a line in the maindid context with the new
extension, otherwise it just goes to the avaya, when a call comes from
avayay it means that someone is making an outgoing call so I just pass
it on to the providers span (group1)

[fromprovider]

include => maindid
include => otherdid
;make sure it's in the above order, otherwise it will always be
handled by the old system

[fromavaya]
exten => _X.,1,Dial(Zap/g1/${EXTEN})

[maindid]
exten => 2500,1,Goto(somecontext,${EXTEN},1) ;since 2500 already
exists on this asterisk system just go there

[otherdid]
exten => _25XX,1,Dial(Zap/g2/${EXTEN}) ;if I don't exist under maindid
then I am still on the old avaya

you should also make sure to create t and i extensions.

Hope this helps.