[Asterisk-Users] PRI in and out

El Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Tue Sep 6 20:17:24 MST 2005

Rod Bacon wrote:
> I am wanting to front-end a legacy PBX with an asterisk box. I have done
> plenty of asterisk work over the last 6 months to PRI circuits, but not
> with a PBX being involved.
>
> I know I can use asterisk and digium cards in this manner, but do I need
> separate cards for the PRI -> Asterisk side to the Asterisk -> PBX side,
> or will a 4-port PRI card do the job? (I already have a spare one of
> these).

Short -- yes, can be done.

We just did one install with two incoming E1s connected to ports 1 and 2 on a
Sangoma A104, and ports 3 and 4 were outgoing to an Avaya PABX.

> In other words, can I use SPAN 1 as a timing source, then provide timing
> to the PBX connected to SPAN 2 of the same card?

That should do it. You'd just need to configure zaptel.conf properly. There's an
example somewhere on the Wiki about integrating Asterisk with legacy systems.

Cheers,
Flynn