[Asterisk-Users] Assessing network quality

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Mon Sep 5 13:43:33 MST 2005

Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
> I am trying to trouble shoot one of my ISP's network and compare to my
> other ISPs offering. Although network 1 is reasonably fast and has low
> enough latency, voice quality is not good and the reason for this is not
> readily apparent using standard network tools.
> What tools can be used to assess the quality of the network in terms of
> it's suitability for voice? I am using ping, mtr, smokeping for general
> network reliability and using visualroute to give me info, but I need
> some voice specific quality metrics. Any ideas?

Use SineStatIAX to make a test IAX call and it will measure packet drops OOO,
jitter buffer changes etc:

http://www.sineapps.com/sinestatiax.php

It requires the .net framework version 1.1 (but if I remember correctly I put
a routine in the installer to check for it and download it if missing).

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell