[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: An idea for New Orleans temporarycommunications infrastructure

Dean Collins Dean at collins.net.pr
Fri Sep 2 06:52:57 MST 2005

Hi Jeremy,

I think the first place to start on this is some corporate funding by
one of the voip providers (you could pretty much guarantee US only
calls).

Once you have this, the rest (servers, generators, sip phones etc)
fairly easy to come by.

If you do get this off the ground I would be willing to make a donation
to a "asterisk" relief project.

I would also suggest that maybe instead of looking to set up within the
disaster zones that you consider setting up in the relocation zone (eg
where people are being sent to) yes they have payphones there but having
a bank of 20 grandstream phones connected a T1 is a far smarter and more
effective solution and probably more meaningful.

These people are going to need to reach out to friends/family throughout
the states and having somewhere to do this from would be a great source
of support.

Cheers,
Dean