[Asterisk-Users] Re: How to require a keypress on answer?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 01:20:51 MST 2005

In article <81000b5a0509012046238af7d5 at mail.gmail.com>,
C F <shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe the c option will do what you want, but to the best of
> knowledge is only available for zap channels:
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+ZAP+channels

Thanks. I knew I'd seen something like it apart from with agents.
Unfortunately, it looks like this won't do what I want, which is to
play an announcement to the caller first.

Since my original posting, I've concluded that what I want is not
possible in v1.0, but can be achieved in HEAD/v1.2 by having the
macro play the announcement, read the response and set the
MACRO_RETURN variable appropriately.

If anyone does know a way to achieve it in v1.0, I would be very
pleased to know, as it would avoid upgrading a production system.

Cheers
Tony

> On 9/1/05, Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> > [apologies if this comes through twice - the original
> > doesn't seem to have shown up even after 16 hours]
> >
> > In the handling of agents, when using AgentCallbackLogin, a call placed to
> > an agent needs to be accepted by the agent pressing the '#' key.
> >
> > I'm trying to replicate that kind of operation in a non-agent scenario: I
> > want to call Dial() from my dialplan, play an announcement to the called
> > party if they answer, and then for the dialplan to be able to tell if the
> > called party pressed a key or not. This is for an alarm application to
> > know it got through to a person and not just an answering machine.
> >
> > I've tried using the M() option to call a macro, but any channel variables
> > created in the macro are created in the called channel and not the calling
> > channel, so I can't use them to pass status back to the dialplan.
> >
> > This is on a system running Asterisk 1.0.
> >
> > Any ideas gratefully received!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tony
> > --