[Asterisk-Users] SCCP support is making good progress

Stefan Gofferje stefan at gofferje.homelinux.org
Sun Oct 30 13:18:50 MST 2005

Paul schrieb:
> Chris,
>
> I wrote a post that contains the information (files) you need for the
> asterisk tftpboot directory to load a 7960 Sip 7.5 image from the server.
>
> See this post
> https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3374221
>
> As far as obtaining the SIP 7.5 software, I see it on EBay all the time for
> $12.00 buy it now.
>
> If you follow my directions about what files to place in the tftpboot
> directory, and modify your alternate boot server on the 7960, the phone will
> load the sip software.
>
> I personally learned by using SolarWinds TFTP server from my XP station so I
> could see the file name requests as they were being transferred.
>
> On a new Cisco phone, you would set the alternate tftp server to yes then
> set the ip address of the alternate tftp server to the server with the
> images to upload.  If you need to unlock the phone it can be **# or cisco
> based on the version loaded.
>
> I also was interested in the SCCP driver. I was able to load the driver in
> Asterisk (AND SEE IT) but could not get it to work.  I did ask for a users
> guide but there is not one available yet.  So I think SIP will be the
> easiest for you to use for you client proposal.
>
> When time permits, I'll go back and look over the sccp driver and find my
> mistakes.

It is not likely to find a legal SIP firmware for $12. Not the CD makes
it legal but the license from Cisco and this is a little more expensive.
Besides from this, Cisco's license agreement does not permit the license
to be resold, so to have a legal license, you need to get it from a
Cisco partner or at least authorized reseller.

Anyway, compared to the SCCP image, the SIP image is very bad.
Incomplete XML support, VERY slow, decreased sound quality...

Getting chan_sccp from Sergio to work is really easy. The distro
contains a well documented sample config and - as I wrote before - there
are lots of info in the chan-sccp-users mailing list archive.

I myself started with a SIPped 7960 but meanwhile, I run 3 7960s and 1
7905 without any problems.

Regards,
Stefan

--
  (o_   Stefan Gofferje            | SCLT, MCP
  //\   Reg'd Linux User #247167   | VCP #2263