[Asterisk-Users] UK BT IDSN30e 'pass through' with TE205P/Avaya ArgentOffice?

Chris Shucksmith chris at shucksmith.com
Wed Oct 26 06:17:11 MST 2005

Hi all,

I have a shed load of UK (BT) analogue equipment at our office (18
phones, 6 faxes) hooked up via structured cabling to an old Avaya
ArgentOffice phone system. The on-its-way-out phone system has an
IDSN30e PRI interface talking to the BT exchange delivering 18 channels.
If I were to buy a 2 port PRI card like the TE205P would this allow me
to put asterisk in between?

BT.EXCH <===> ASTERISK <===> Avaya PBX <===> Tphones/fax
             IP-Phones  :-)

My objective is to allow the introduction of IP phones at remote sites
using an existing OpenVPN tunnels, and start the migration to new kit.
I would reset the Avaya config to present its POT's FXS sockets as
single channels on the IDSN and then do the extension routing and call
handling with asterisk.

Questions:
o Can Asterisk inpersonate a telco over IDSN 30e well enough to please a
PBX?
o    .. with pass-through CLID?
o Avaya PBX has some very old VOIP support, so does anyone know if the
ASTERISK <===> Avaya link may be possible over IP?
o Has anyone seen this working?

Kind regards, and thanks for any thoughts you may share.

Chris