[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on PPC Linux

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Wed Oct 26 02:45:10 MST 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:11:44AM +0530, Omkar Pandit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PPC architecture board with Linux running on top of it. I need to
> get Asterisk running on it. I have the following questions:
>
> 1. What should be the version of Linux Kernel for running Asterisk? Also,
> what utilities are required along with the kernel? Is BusyBox enough, since
> I do not have any distribution as such?

google for astlinux, for a rather minimal asterisk system.

> 2. What software should I have on the board along with Linux?
>    Please add if I am missing anything.
>    2.1 GCC version 3.0 or higher.
>    2.2 C library headers.
>    2.3 Headers and Libraries for OpenSSL and zlib.
>    Is there anything else that I require?

If you go for an embedded-type system, prepare a separate build system.
The build system can actually reside on a separate architecture/OS .

> 3. What hardware do I require to see the working of Asterisk?

Basically: a network adapter, if this is a voip-only setup. Is this a
voip-only setup?

> 4. If I have 2 Laptop's with some softphones and this PPC board with
> Asterisk. Then i connect them on LAN. Will I be able to see Asterisk
> working?

ssh to the board and do whatever you like.

> 5. Is there any Testsuite to test Asterisk? Is there any benchmarking
> available?
> 6. Does asterisk have any processor dependent code? I mean any assembly
> code? Will it build directly on PPC board using GCC?

zaptel is linux-dependent, but not very processor-dependent.

> 7. What is the memory requirement for Asterisk?

Quite depends on your usage.

> 8. Is there any port of Asterisk on any processor other than Intel?

zaptel build on a number of other architectures: follow links from
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/zaptel . Though I'm not sure
if they tried to build zaptel-source on all architectures. I've seen bug
reports for at least amd64 and ppc, and probably also for mps (le?)