[Asterisk-Users] iaxmodem

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 25 05:11:00 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 14:00 +0200, asterisk at frameweb.it wrote:
> Now I have the file
>
> /dev # dir ttyIAX
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Oct 25 13:52 ttyIAX ->
> /dev/pts/1

That should be about right, there are various differences in systems but
generally that should work for linux.

> The file is now created when I start iasxmodem, and deleted when I quit the
> app.
>
> the result is the same, it is not able to write to the device
>
> I am root, iaxmodem is running as root, asterisk is running as asterisk

Ok, iaxmodem probably needs root to unlink and symlink the /dev/ttyIAX
file, given /dev settings.  Or at least be suid until after it has done
this.

> Can I try to run iaxmodem as asterisk too, and change the owner to some
> libraries from root to asterisk ?

asterisk doesnt access the device itself.  Does /dev/pts/1 actually
exist?  It should, but lets just cover the bases :)

Note that /dev/pts/1 is dynamically assigned, it may change, especially
if you have others log into that system on a pseudo tty (ie not console,
xterms take a pseudo terminal as do ssh logins).  It should however, on
your system anyway, be /dev/pts/XX  where XX is some integer.

The fact that its /dev/pts/1 makes me think that something is
on /dev/pts/0 already, which means that kernel support for it should be
there, unless by some amazing coincidence it was limited to 1 (default
is 256 iirc).  So I really dont think that is the problem.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378