[Asterisk-Users] T1 Hardware Recommendations

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Sun Oct 23 18:33:40 MST 2005

Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

I had read your blog entry a few days ago and that's when I started
doubting whether or not to go with Sangoma.

I've only heard good things of Sangoma. However, I only have
experience with TE410 and because of my limited experience with
Asterisk, I was a bit concerned with switching to another card vendor
from the one I've gotten used to. From a practical point of view, I
don't know if there is much difference in "maintaining" a Sangoma
install vs a Digium install. I do know the setup may be somewhat
different, but that's a "one time" deal (sometimes).

As far as the Digium card, I don't know if all the TE2XXP have the
newer firmware. I do wish I could trade my TE4XXP for ones with the
new firmware. I will need to call Digium on that one.

Before the firmware upgrade, I would think there was a more
significant reason to go with Sangoma (from a technical PoV). But
now.... I guess it's a different story and for the amount of traffic
I'm expecting, I don't know if I'll realize the potential performance
difference between Sangoma and Digium, as explained in your blog entry.

I am definitely pro supporting the Asterisk cause and if that means
that a % of my Digium purchase would go to it, I'd gladly do it.
Anyway, the price difference between the two is less than $80.

The only thing I wished was that the Digium cards worked in 3.3V and
5V motherboards without having to specify which one you are going to
deploy it on. I got somewhat screwed on the TE410P because of that
reason :(

The warranty issue is a big difference. Why couldn't Digium compete
on that one? It's only a business/marketing decision, not a technical
one anyway.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

- Waldo