[Asterisk-Users] T1 Hardware Recommendations

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 17:24:33 MST 2005

Hello,

Watch out there, that's a very touchy issue. I'll try to lay out the
technical and non-technical points of view.

First the purely technical point of view:

The Digium TE210P/TE205P is basically the TE4XXP(quad card) with only
two ports included instead of four. It uses almost exactly the same
firmware and drivers as the TE410P which as of a few months ago was
greatly improved, see my review:
http://astguiclient.blogspot.com/2005/09/digium-405p-v2-review.html

The Sangoma a102u dual T1/E1 card requires additional software to be
installed on the server to use it, and that software also needs to be
configured, which does mean that it takes longer to setup. The sangoma
card does fit straight-up in a 2U server chassis while the Digium dual
card would require a horizontal PCI riser card to do the same. Also,
(again PURELY TECHNICAL HERE) The sangoma card comes with a 5 year
warranty while the Digium card comes with a 2 year warranty and the
Sangoma card is guaranteed to work on all PCI2-compliant motherboards
while Digium has a list of motherboards that their cards will not work
in. Also, the Sangoma card will work in 3v and 5v PCI slots while the
Digium cards are 5v or 3v specific.

Now here is the non-technical comparison:

Both cards work well and have been used in production servers running
steadily for months at a time and both companies offer free setup
support.

However, I will be very quietly cursed if I do no mention that much
more of your purchase price of the Digium cards goes towards the
further development of Asterisk. Hardware sales make up a large
portion of Digium's revenues and are the primary reason why Asterisk
and Digium have grown so much over the last 3 years.

There is much more to the story, but I've rambled on long enough and I
hope I've given you enough information to answer your question for
yourself.

MATT---