[Asterisk-Users] One SIP dead, all SIP dead -- sipmedia gone?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sat Oct 22 06:33:38 MST 2005

> Currently (and since yesterday evening), sipmedia.com/myphonecompany.com
> is completely off the radar.  No DNS entry found -- not even a
> name-server.  They've had this sort of massive failure before, but this
> is one of the longest for all I can tell.  While that's a major problem,
> it also meant that until I commented out the register =>
> sip.sipmedia.com statements, my entire phonesystem was unavailable.

[...]
> 2. Is anyone else experiencing the same sipmedia outtage, and/or has
> information on when they'll be back?  Tech support seems affected, and
> other direct numbers I have go into voicemail.

Never heard of them.  The IP block which their NS1.SIPMEDIA.COM is in is

NetRange:   66.128.0.0 - 66.128.15.255
CIDR:       66.128.0.0/20
NetName:    VITCOM-BLK
NetHandle:  NET-66-128-0-0-1
Parent:     NET-66-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.XCHANGETELE.COM
NameServer: NS3.XCHANGETELE.COM
Comment:    ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
RegDate:    2001-06-05
Updated:    2005-03-11

and this appears to be off the air.  We have no route listed for this at
this time.  The IP block for NS3.SIPMEDIA.COM does have a route but
traceroutes to deadness.

10  POS7-0.GW12.NYC1.ALTER.NET (152.63.29.197)
11  band-x-gw.customer.alter.net (157.130.2.218)
12  * * *
13  * * *

NetRange:   69.1.236.0 - 69.1.237.255
CIDR:       69.1.236.0/23
NetName:    XCHANGETELE
NetHandle:  NET-69-1-236-0-1
Parent:     NET-69-1-224-0-1
NetType:    Reassigned
NameServer: NS1.XCHANGETELE.COM
NameServer: NS3.XCHANGETELE.COM
NameServer: NS4.XCHANGETELE.COM
NameServer: NS5.XCHANGETELE.COM
Comment:
RegDate:    2004-02-24
Updated:    2004-02-24

The parent block containing this one is advertised in BGP right now, but
I see a whole bunch of /24's covering this block as well, and that route
is not covered by a /24 or /23 announcement.  This looks like they are
fully withdrawn at this time.

I see a slew of withdrawls for that route around 10/21 23:42.

FixedOrbit sees them as singlehomed to Savvis, which isn't having any
problems that I'm aware of, other than this humorous bit:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/357856p-304797c.html

:-)

I do notice that there seems to be no web site for www.xchangetele.com,
which suggests that possibly they tanked.  If your sipmedia.com was
reselling their services, then it is reasonable to think that they went
along for that ride.

... JG