[Asterisk-Users] merchant account

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 22:52:37 MST 2005

On 10/20/05, trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 21:44 -0700, snacktime wrote:
> > The name is not used for card verification. Never has been. You
> > might be using software or an internet gateway that requires it, but
> > that information is not sent in the authorization request to the bank,
> > and it's not required. I've certified to just about every bank
> > network there is in the US, and I've never seen a specification yet
> > that requires the cardholders name.
> >
> > And that being the case, it doesn't matter what you send in the name
> > field.
>
> Hmm.. when I wrote code to directly talk to the banks we had to send it
> and the name would cause problems if it didnt match. This was not to a
> gateway this was software for the gateways. And now with fraud concerns
> being higher I would assume its more critical. Keep in mind this is not
> for transactions where the card is present, on those the physical aspect
> of the card is used (however secure that is supposed to be).

When you say software for the gateways, you mean you integrated with third
party software that connected to one of the processing networks? Do you
remember the name of the network that was used? I guess there could be a
network that checks the name, but I'd have to see it to believe it. Vital,
Firstdata, Global Payments, Paymentech, Nova.. None of those are capable of
checking the cardholder name. And together they probably make up over 95% of
all card processing in the US.

So even if there is some obscure processor that can check the name, it's not
the norm. Now if you are connecting to someone below the major processing
networks that adds on their own checks, that's a different story. However
most internet gateways dont' check the name. Verisign doesn't, authorizenet
doesn't, we don't.

Chris