[Asterisk-Users] E1/T1 failover hardware

John Daragon john at argv.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 08:23:30 MST 2005

Warning ! I know zip about electronics.

I've been looking for a device to handle the switching of an E1
connection from one Asterisk box to another in the event of a
catastrophic server failure.  All of the solutions I've seen so far have
been designed to handle the situation where the telco line faults so
that the local PBX can switch to a secondary E1.

I've come across this application note :

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/2857

which describes "T1/E1/J1, N+1 Redundancy With Analog Switches"

These parts are obviously designed to be built into E1 boards - hence, I
think, the protection circuitry.

Here's the question, then :  what (apart from jumping through regulatory
hoops) is to stop a simple array of MOSFETS (and a bit of control
circuitry) implementing a failover switch controlled (say) by a pin on a
serial or parallel port ?

jd

John Daragon                                          john at argv.co.uk
argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage,  Staple Fitzpaine,  Taunton,  TA3 5SL,  UK
v +44 (0) 1460 234068   f +44 (0) 1460 234069   m +44 (0) 7836 576127