[Asterisk-Users] Terrible echo with Te110P and Adit 600

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 18:09:12 MST 2005

Darren Thanks for your reply to my problem with the same setup, I have
found the problem to be Telco related and had it fixed since. But not
before I tried a Mediatrix 1204 on that setup. It was then that I
ralized that the problem is with the telco.
The Mediatrix came in at around $600 + (for 4 ports) while the Adit
with the Digium card came in at $1100 + (for 8 ports). What make the
Adit attractive is that you can let the customers hook up fax machine
and credit card machines if they want, using FXS cards with the Adit.
This all came in as a very good expereince for me, it allowed me to
try out both setups. In general I think, that if its a small setup for
just a few POTS, and the Fax/CC machine can be connected directly to a
POTS and not Asterisk then solutions like the Adit should be avoided,
it makes the whole system much cheaper. If all the transcoding gets
done outside Asterisk (as is the case with using something like the
Mediatrix) then you should be able to hook up around 70-80 Sip phones
or ATAs with Asterisk using just a single P4, and 512 MB RAM. While
some have seen the same results with the TE110 that is only true to
the maximum of 23 channels, but not if you plan on using 70, 80
simultaneus channels.

When you have to deal with lots of POTS lines (12 to 16 range), it
still might be cheaper to use the Mediatrix than the Adit 600, since
with something like the Adit you will need a more powerfull machine,
while with external gateways you can get by with just a P4 (or
something as small as the mini ITX systems).

When comparing sound quality I got the same with both devices (actualy
as long as I had the Adit with the TE110 and the problem form the
Telco I had better quality with the Adit since Asterisk was doing a
great job with the Echo can).

In overall I would recommend using an external Sip gateway instead of
the Adit when trying to compete (like for small offices with just a
few extensions). But where more then just the FXO is needed (like
faxing/CC) then the Adit is the way to go.