[Asterisk-Users] Recomendations for utility togenerateAsteriskconfiguration

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Wed Oct 19 07:42:29 MST 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 11:04 AM, asterisk wrote:

>>> AMP's dialplan and setup is quite complex. Requires, e.g, a
>>> number of
>>> AGIs.
>>>
>>> This is normally not the type of thing you'd like to hand-edit later
>>> after the initial adaptation to the target system.
>>
>> Who said anything about hand editing?
>>
>> That is why you would want to keep the old computer running
>> *@home.  Instead
>> of hand editing anything, make the changes on the *@home box's AMP
>> GUI and
>> copy them over again.  Very simple and most tech folks have an old
>> computer
>> laying around somewhere that could be put to use.
>
> Why wouldn't you just install A at H on your main server then? Why
> install a second server and go through the trouble of using scp to
> copy files back and forth?
>
> Tom
>
> Maybe because you snipped the beginning of the thread without
> reading the entire thread's context, but he is running on Solaris.
> I am not sure what all is involved with installing *@home on
> solaris but I assume it is no trivial task.  WinSCP is very trivial
> IMHO and there is no "copying files back and forth", just one
> direction, takes about twenty seconds and maybe 30 if you are
> slow.  Now you also have an almost hot swap server in case the
> Solaris machine goes down, just swap IP addresses and hardware.

OK, my bad, but the point is still valid. If you are dead set on
running Solaris, install AMP on the Solaris server, don't go to the
trouble of creating a second machine to generate your configuration
when you can just eliminate the extra steps and create the config on
the main machine. It would be simpler to set up, maintain, and make
testing config changes much easier and faster.

Tom