[Asterisk-Users] TDMoE question

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Oct 19 01:54:35 MST 2005

I am asked to consider deploying asterisk servers as soft-switches on a
large scale, but wanted to preserve TDM properties of a call, especially
for modem applications which some of the end users may want.  I was
thinking TDMoE may work well for this, at least on the surafce but had
specific questions regarding modem data on the call.

As most of you are aware a TDM network virtually guarantees that the
data that enters the network comes out at the same cadence that it went
in.  Modems like this near exact timing.  IP networks have no such
guarantee so modems tend to not want to work well when VoIP protocols
are used.  Compression methods (codecs) used in VoIP can also distort
the data for a modem call, as such they are undesirable.

The usage that I am considering would be to have soft switches placed in
stragetic locations throughout a large geographic area but be able to
provide service to customers, which can include modem usage (think large
phone company selling arbitrary phone lines to be used however the
customer sees fit).  As such I need modems to be able to work over this
network.

I had considered linking all the remote sites together via TDMoE
(private network primarily using dark fiber).  Does TDMoE provide
effectively the same capacity to preserve modem data (upto and including
"56k" speeds) as a T1 would?  Or would I need to actually transmit voice
channels on T1/DS3/whatever framed circuits using the Zap interface?

Has anyone tried TDMoE on longer runs, or at all with modem data?

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378