[Asterisk-Users] free dids on goiax.com

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 18 18:37:12 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 17:39 -0500, Rajesh kumar wrote:
> When you use the service, the outgoing number is going to be "known" to the
> goiax server anyway. So, what is that you loose by uploading a frequently
> calling numbers? Its sounds more like demanding the long distance service
> company not to "know" the phone numbers you are dialing out... open your
> long distance phone bill and there they are - all the numbers you dialed
> along with the time and duration. if you want to keep the numbers you dial
> with your phone secret, there is no phone service in the world that can lend
> the service.

Yeah, I dont know if I wil call everyone in my list though, so I wont
provide those numbers until I do decide to call them.  Further to
require someone to goto a webpage and register a number before they can
dial it is um ...  silly.  Free or not I dont see a lot of people doing
that.

> Also, not every day new pizza places pop up. So, when a new number is to be
> called, you first update your calling list, and then dial. its like building
> your frequent caller list online.

That was an example not to mean that would be the only thing.  I could
give hundreds of such examples where you get a new number to call and
why it would be a pain to have to register that.

> >What about all the proxy lists that exist freely available?  What about
> >proxy scanners that exist to find new unlisted ones?  What about the
> >fact that with most cable modem providers its trivial to get a new IP.
>
> If a person is determined to bring the service down, there is nothing to
> stop him. The question to be asked is, do you want to focus the restricted
> resources to provide a free service on the 20% of the exceptional cases or
> 80% of the general cases. the choice is obvious. There exists no one ideal
> security solution that address all 100% cases. We have to adapt several
> tactics to address each category of the issue. To handle telemarketers -
> calls typically originate from a limited list of IPs -, we can adapt this
> strategy along with tight terms of conditions to avoid businesses benefit
> from the free service without contributing anything back towards development
> of the free-conect world.
>
> Instead of having the goiax down for all users, its better to device a
> feasible mechanism to hunt the abusers.

Yes feasible, not something absurd that is easily worked around by the
very people that would abuse it.  I doubt that telemarketers were really
the ones 'war dialing' or making prank calls.  I also doubt that it was
benign prank calls but instead the larger problem of pranking PSAP
numbers (the people that do 911 service).  That type of stuff has been
going on for years and will continue for years.  Tracking IP on signup
wont stop either group they will use proxy servers.  Making people
register numbers wont stop people pranking PSAPs they will register that
and you can only deal with it after the fact (maybe).  It does nothing
to identify and authenticate the user so woo you can shut the account
down but nothing else.

However registering numbers creates an inconvienience to all users.  If
it doesnt prevent anything what good is it?  The goal isnt to piss off
goiax users but instead to curb the undesirable behaviour.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378