[Asterisk-Users] Can IAX be used without going thre a IAX server

asterisk asterisk at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Oct 19 08:22:47 MST 2005

> Is it possible to route a call from an Asterisk box through the
> Internet to a IAX device (in this case Digium IAXy) without
> using an IAX service like IAXTel? I have it working on my
> local Ethernet LAN so it should be possible to use VPN to
> cross the internet. Anyone using VPN or other method to
> acomplish this?
> Thanks
> Chad

Yes.

You could use VPN if you need it for other reasons or do not want to open
ports on your firewall but if you dont mind opening ports and have no need
for VPN there is a much easier solution.

Go into your router and set port forwarding.  Set port 4569 to forward to
the IP of your * box.  Then reconfigure your IAXy to point to the public IP
of your router.  This works great!  I usually go a step further and setup a
DNS record for my domain to point to the public IP such as
iax2.yourdomain.com to make it easier to remember.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro