[Asterisk-Users] Can Asterisk "proxy" a SIP phone to make it look like a Cisco skinny softphone?

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Mon Oct 17 17:15:26 MST 2005

On Oct 17, 2005, at 6:53 PM, Jason Haar wrote:

> Tom Rymes wrote:
>

>> Why don't you connect to Cisco via Chan_sccp and use a soft or
>> hardphone to connect to asterisk. Like this:
>>
>> Cisco<-----(chan_sccp)----->asterisk<-----(SIP)----->Your phone
>>
>> Just a thought.
>>

> Do you mean "Cisco" as the actual phone - instead of the
> CallManager? I
> would need to get the SEP* value/etc for all the phones I wanted to
> call
> wouldn't I?
>
> I was more hoping for:
>
> Cisco Phone <- [skinny] -> Cisco Call Manager <-- [skinny] -->
> Asterisk
> <-- [sip] --> SIP Phone
>
> Where the Cisco CM thought Asterisk was an end-device instead of a
> trunk.

Sorry for the confusing explanation earlier. Yes, I mean what you
meant, but I wasn't assuming you were using  a Cisco hardphone. Given
the setup where CallManager thinks Asterisk is just another SCCP
phone (via chan_sccp), you could then connect to asterisk using any
SIP or IAX client, not just a Cisco 79XX SIP phone.

Disclaimer: I've never done this, so I don't promise it will work!

Tom