[Asterisk-Users] Legacy PBX Integration and Zaptel.conf Timing Source

Geoff Manning gmanning at zoom.com
Mon Oct 17 08:37:16 MST 2005

My Setup looks like this:

Mitel 200 SX (1st T1) -------- Bell South
 (2nd T1)

Digium TE110P
  Asterisk

MITEL CONFIGURATION
Primary Timing Source: 1st T1 Card
Secondary Timing Source: 2nd T1 Card

ASTERISK CONFIGURATION
span=1,1,0,d4,ami (Look to the Span for timing)

We are getting a lot of Frame and Slip errors....

Time		Slip	Frame
7:00		736	950
8:00		690	1200
9:00		437	762
10:00		500	913

....and then the 2nd Mitel T1 card takes itself offline once the threshold
is hit (usually every 18 hours).

What is the proper way to setup timing in this scenario? I have tried
setting it both ways:

1) span=1,0,0,d4,ami (Provide timing for the span)
2) span=1,1,0,d4,ami (Look to the Span for timing)

And I get the same amount of errors either way.

(1) Asterisk set as timing source will cause problems with the 2nd T12 card
in Mitel since it will be receiving timing from the Asterisk as well as the
1st T1 card in the Mitel.

(2) Asterisk set to expect timing from the Mitel. The 2nd T1 card is
expecting timing from the 1st Mitel T1 card and the Asterisk is expecting
timing from the 2nd T1 card.

Does that sound like it could cause a problem? I don't think the Asterisk
server will try to get it's timing from the 1st Mitel T1 and I don't think
the 2nd Mitel T1 card will pass along it's timing from the 1st to the
Asterisk.

I think the solution is to remove the entry in the Mitel that sets the 2nd
T1 card as the secondary source for timing. Sound about right?

Thanks!