[Asterisk-Users] SIP Phones

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Mon Oct 17 07:03:43 MST 2005

Check out voip supply.com. All their SIP phone have been tested with
Asterisk.

Asterisk can work in 2 ways when handling calls. It can set up the call
and then step back and let the phones go peer to peer or it can stay
involved in the call until its terminated.

Obviously the latter requires a larger CPU etc as it has more work to
do. This is also required where there has to be code translation for
example GM to LAW. As you are on a closed network this might not be
relevant as you'll be using the same codes all around.

It is possible to record the calls when they pass through Asterisk This
is very common for obvious reasons. Just make sure you have enough disk
space.

<plug>
I do this for a living if you need some consultancy.
</plug>

Mark

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish to set up a simple network of about 20 SIP phones. This will be
> a stand alone VoIP network, without any links to the internet or
> standard PSTN networks.
> For SIP phones to work, one needs a SIP server so I thought that
> Asterisk might be a good choice.
> Does anyone have a list of SIP IP phones that have been tested with
> Asterisk and known to work reliably?
> Also, when making a SIP call, does the voice bearer also pass through
> Asterisk, or is it just the SIP call setup that passes through
> Asterisk?
> If the voice bearer passes through the Asterisk box, is it possible to
> record every voice call?
>
> James

Mark, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ