[Asterisk-Users] Restricting registration for peer '611' to 60 seconds (requested 1200)

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Mon Oct 17 00:57:10 MST 2005

On 17 Oct 2005, at 01:57, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
>

>> Ok, ok, ....
>>

> Thanks :-)
>

>> Combining our findings now:  It seems that firefly wants to
>> register every 1200 seconds, but iax.conf only allows 60. How can
>> I stop this warning message?
>>

> Asterisk has never defaulted to allowing IAX2 registrations longer
> than 60 seconds, but previously it did not say anything when it was
> limiting the expiration period.

By the way, there is a reason for this. It ensures that there is
traffic (initiated by the client) often
enough to keep the 'connection' in a NATing firewall's map of ports.
This means that a
'new' call (ie incoming) message from asterisk to the client will be
seen by the firewall as part of that
'recent' conversation and allowed through (and correctly forwarded).

> You have two choices: reconfigure your softphone to only request a
> 60 second expiration interval, or reconfigure Asterisk to allow
> longer registrations. There is no direct way to make the message go
> away without reconfiguring one end or the other.

So unless you _know_ the timeouts on all the firewalls involved, I'd
play safe and change the
firefly end.

Tim.