[Asterisk-Users] USB phone for Linux?

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Thu Oct 13 05:41:17 MST 2005

Tony Mountifield wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can anyone recommend a USB phone that can be used under Linux, either
>interfacing directly with Asterisk in some way, or using a soft phone
>program on Linux that doesn't need screen interaction (only using the
>phone's keypad)?
>
>The idea is to be able to plug it into the USB port of an Asterisk
>box in a rack, where screen, kbd and mouse may not be available.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Tony

Find me a USB phone with sufficient hardware docs available and I will
see what I can do. I could use the same type of thing. I have remote
customer servers and would love to have them setup so my contractor tech
can just plug in and become extension xxxx on my pbx here.

What I would do is base the softphone on something like iaxclient. I
would have it launched when the usb hotplug was seen.

I suppose this could be initially done with 2 devices. One would be a
good usb headset and the other would be a keypad with lcd display.