[Asterisk-Users] Soekris and Asterisk

Christopher Dobbs thebigspark at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 23:56:37 MST 2005

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 17:46 -0700, Paul Mahler wrote:
>

>>You need about 30MHz per channel. That means the Soekris can only handle part
>>of a T1, it will never handle a quad span.
>>
>>Paul
>>

>How was that determined?
>
>I have a problem with a plain number like that, which may have been
>taken into account, why I am asking...
>
>Different cpus operate differently, taking more or less time to complete
>certain functions.  Instruction optimization can go a long way if those
>instructions are used (not terribly likely if its just pushing bits but
>there are some for just that).
>
>Additionally there is no codec processing (presumably) with TDMoE, does
>the 30MHz take into account any codec processing or is it literally
>30MHz (on what cpu class?!) for just pushing bits?
>
>There are other factors, but you did say 'about' so they are optional to
>this conversation, ie other IRQs on the box, potential for device
>polling, etc.  A tuned system for that specific task (pushing bits
>between a TDM card and ethernet via TDMoE) may be able to operate at a
>lower clock speed per channel, but that isnt as important for the
>initial questions.

MHZ is not a valid way of gauging performance.  It's all about the MIPS
(Millions of Instrictions Per Second), Baby :).

I was testing with some of the Soekris boards about a year ago for an
client, the need was to make a TDMoE -> TDMoE router for a wireless
network. (Yes I know that that is a stupid idea, and I told the client
that it was a waist of his money to have me try.) the board I was using
I think was the 4801, not sure thoe (It was a year ago) but it would
pust 48 TDMoE channels at once over 100BaseT ok.  So I would think that
It would.  I was using a customized linux distro, (as in one I created)
contact me off list if you would like a copy of the distro.

--
Christopher Dobbs
Wireless Administrator