[Asterisk-Users] Soekris and Asterisk

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Oct 12 18:09:31 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 17:46 -0700, Paul Mahler wrote:
> You need about 30MHz per channel. That means the Soekris can only handle part
> of a T1, it will never handle a quad span.
>
> Paul

How was that determined?

I have a problem with a plain number like that, which may have been
taken into account, why I am asking...

Different cpus operate differently, taking more or less time to complete
certain functions.  Instruction optimization can go a long way if those
instructions are used (not terribly likely if its just pushing bits but
there are some for just that).

Additionally there is no codec processing (presumably) with TDMoE, does
the 30MHz take into account any codec processing or is it literally
30MHz (on what cpu class?!) for just pushing bits?

There are other factors, but you did say 'about' so they are optional to
this conversation, ie other IRQs on the box, potential for device
polling, etc.  A tuned system for that specific task (pushing bits
between a TDM card and ethernet via TDMoE) may be able to operate at a
lower clock speed per channel, but that isnt as important for the
initial questions.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378