[Asterisk-Users] Which asterisk-friendly cards are fax-capable?

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Wed Oct 12 16:19:38 MST 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 6:58 PM, trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 18:45 -0400, Tom Rymes wrote:
>
>> This is true, but:
>>
>> 1.) Lee has stated that IAXModem is still "Developer-grade" code.
>> 2.) I don't have a spare PRI for testing, and our phone system is far
>> too mission critical for me to go mucking about with it and trying
>> this out (especially given #1, above).
>> 3.) It will not be easy for me to test out this setup without simply
>> switching our production HylaFAX server to use IAXModem, which I am
>> again reluctant to do, seeing as it is our production server and we
>> depend on it. Testing fax service setups is notoriously difficult due
>> to the huge number of different fax machines, etc that are out there.
>>

> redirect one did to iaxmodem for now, test it out, you shouldnt
> have to
> reconfigure everything to get this to work.  iaxmodem connects via iax
> so it acts like any other client in that regard, so you should just
> set
> up an acct and redir an unused did to it, assuming you have an unused
> did of course.
>

> Would that not solve in the short term all of those issues or am I
> missing something?

Well, I can redirect a DID to it, but I have no fax traffic going to
that DID, and I am still reluctant to install "developer-grade" code
on my production asterisk server.

I'm sure it would be OK, and I bet it would work great, but frankly I
would rather wait for the code to develop further and give some
others a chance to figure it out at first. I'm not a big fan of
running my production servers on the bleeding edge, and I don't have
a spare PRI to use for testing on a non-production basis. (got a
spare $400 per month or so?)

Tom