[Asterisk-Users] Which asterisk-friendly cards are fax-capable?

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Oct 12 15:33:40 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 18:18 -0400, Tom Rymes wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
> > If your PRI comes in to a TE405P or somesuch then you can pass fax
> > DIDs out through another port on the TE405P and out to a T1
> > faxmodem (such as a Patton 2977) or a T1 channel bank and then to
> > analog modems.
>
> Good call, Lee. Unfortunately, we only have a single port Sangoma
> card in our asterisk server. In order to do what you suggest, I would
> have to buy a dual port card and a channel bank or T1 modem. Thats
> more $$$ than is warranted by our fax traffic.
>
> Also, given reports of problems related to frame-slippage and other
> weirdness encountered when sending data/fax through Asterisk, I'm
> reluctant to invest that money. Have you tried this setup yourself?

Cant iaxmodem work by having asterisk bridge the pri channel as needed
(did based routing perhaps) and then have hylafax use iaxmodem as the
modem it uses.  That should result in no additional hardware, which
means testing can happen with little cost to see if it works for you.

As I understand it iaxmodem just acts like a modem, and doesnt actually
do the processing that hylafax does, so the two would work together
instead of one or the other.  I may be wrong on this, but that is the
way it looks to me so far.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378