[Asterisk-Users] Which asterisk-friendly cards are fax-capable?

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Wed Oct 12 15:14:33 MST 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Bob Goddard wrote:

>> Asterisk's faxing capabilities are not nearly as advanced, stable, or
>> easy to set up as HylaFAX. Also, there seem to be many problems with
>> frame slipping and the like that screw up faxing over Digium
>> cards, and
>> maybe others as well.
>>

> Does Hylafax do software based faxing? As far as I knew, it has always
> required a DSP.

Lee would be the guy to ask, seeing as he is involved (deeply
involved, I think) in HylaFAX development. AFAIK, HylaFAX does
require a DSP, but IAXModem is designed to function as the DSP,
thereby allowing HylaFAX to take calls that come in via asterisk
without additional hardware (such as a T1 fax-modem, a crossover
cable and a multi-port T1 card, as Lee suggested.).

>> Either way, I was just saying that grabbing a good modem (see HylaFAX
>> list archives for suggestions - NOT USRobotics!!!) and installing
>> HylaFAX would be easier, more reliable, and all-in-all, a better
>> solution than messing with Asterisk's built-in fax capability.
>
> In other words, don't use a soft fax.

No, software vs hardware isn't the point. As Lee mentioned, there are
many problems with the hardware side of things, too. What I am
asserting is that Asterisk's fax capabilities are an inferior choice
to HylaFAX at this time. Maybe in a year or two that will no longer
be the case. Also, once Lee has some time to develop IAXModem
further, I bet it will be a great option, and it is software based.

Tom