[Asterisk-Users] call to a particular 800 number never showsanswered on Zap channel

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Tue Oct 11 11:34:13 MST 2005

> Is there a way I can tell if it is asterisk or the carrier that is
> timing out from the CLI?

Sorry, I don't have PRI and don't know the details.
However, I'm sure that if you set a high enough verbose or debug
level, you'll see the ISDN messages between * and the carrier's
switch.  I don't know which terminology will be used, but you
should see * send an IAM (perhaps called Initial Address Message
or Setup) and the switch reply with ACM (perhaps Address Complete
Message or Call Proceeding).  Then, about 60 seconds later,
you'll see REL (Release).  Who sends it?  If it's your carrier,
ask them why it comes so soon.  If it's *, perhaps your SIP
phone is the culprit.  If it's not obvious from its config,
set up a local extension that doesn't time out to voice mail,
call it from your SIP phone and see if it will ring for more
than a minute.  If neither your carrier nor your phone is
timing out, then I guess it must be * but I don't know where
that might be.  Perhaps some * guru can help.

> Also, is there a way to force the phone to start the call
> counter or force the answer on the asterisk-side.

I would guess that if you called Answer() before Dial(),
then the call counter would start.  However, it would
also start on busy signals, rejected calls, etc.  Sorry,
I don't know if there is a way to have it start only
when call progress is received.

--Stewart