[Asterisk-Users] country code list

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 11 04:19:33 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 11:40 +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> > AstBill the Web-based open source Billing and Management
> > software for Asterisk includes the information you are requesting.
>
> <big snip>
>
> Apologies for the slight threadjack, but as someone fairly new to the list,
> what *is* the policy on list advertising? There are quite a few posts I've
> seen in the few weeks I've subscribed that are pretty close to the blurry
> line.
>
> Back to the original topic - what's the purpose for which you need this
> information? Building dialplans or billing?

personally dialplans, for some associates of mine they want billing
abilities, more specifically they have a desire to know better what is
what in a foreign country.  While they know their own numbering plan,
and a couple of other countries there are a BUNCH of countries out there
with totally different numbering schemes.

Others on the list may want it for either, I have a feeling this request
goes beyond my personal desire.

What I did was get astbill, I am trying to see where all the bits of
info is that I need (starting to look like two tables I will have to go
through to get everything I want).  I may make a page that will create
extensions.conf cut-and-paste stuff tomorrow (I am still up from
yesterday so odds are not tonight - the sun is almost up I am about to
turn into a pumpkin :)

Assuming astbill's data is accurate, and my very very brief view of it
based on the limited countries I do know of it appears to be fairly
complete, then people should be able to goto my webpage and either
download the data and run it themselves or possibly use a webapp on my
webpage to create an asterisk dialplan for specified countries based on
a very simple template.

I may make it simplier with instructions on sed, it all depends on how I
feel.  If you save the file and run sed it would be far easier for me :)

> As you've discovered, the UK is a complete mix of different number ranges,
> often numbers within those being billed at different rates. It used to be

It started with the UK as an *example* and everyone seems to have
latched onto that.  I wanted to know more than the UK, I wanted every
country.  astbill seems to have that data, I seem to have located all
the little bits that I need from that data, so this is progressing
along, from my perspective anyway.

> > 449xx > premium services
>
> Most of our clients generally ask me to block everything staring 09xx by
> default. The few pager numbers that are still in this range should (I'd be
> interested to hear if they're not) have been assigned new ranges in the
> 07xxx block by now.

I have gotten through to 1 pager in the 945 or 941 I forget now in the
last week or so.

You think country code 44 is a mess, think about country code 1, it
spans many countries ...  some in +1 have had $2511/minute rates.  Yes
twenty five hundred eleven united states dollars per minute!  Country
code 1 is really a region code (north america) and becuase of the
different countries there are different rates, interconnection fees,
laws governing the numbers, etc.

So it could be worse :P

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378