[Asterisk-Users] country code list

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 11 02:21:03 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 09:34 +0100, Steve Kennedy wrote:
> > 448xx national rate, local rate, freephone, some mobile, blah
>
> 44800 is freephone

and 808 and um what is the third?  I wanna say 500 but I am not sure
that is right.

> there is an on-going discussion whether 4487 numbers (or at least some)
> should go into premium rate.

Well legally they arent yet.  But there are some 87 numbers that are for
mercury, some are vodaphone, cellnet, BT, um um um.  Then you have 871
(10ppm national rate) 870 (NCFA) 87 has more than what is most popular
(870/871) and that makes it a problem depending on the rates to the
specific 'subexchanges'.

Note about 871, the 10ppm is the BT rate, one voip provider is about
half that while some others traditional carriers are 10-40% more.

> > Although I dont see something that states what a valid number actually
> > is.  So idealy to avoid getting charged a higher rate I would want to
> > limit all calls to the UK to region codes starting with a 1 or 2
> > (although from what I have seen most of the 2x is 20 for london).
>
> There are other areas too covered by 2.
Yeah thus the use of the word 'most' :)

> Also you have to know who's terminating it. You can make an assumption
> re BT termination, but directly connected businesses may use another
> telco with different termination rates etc.
>
> A lot of UK telco's have difficulty pricing UK termination because of
> this (or risk taking a hit if they get it wrong).

Yeah, although some companies (C&W for example) have built out their own
network and can terminate cheaper than BT so ...

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378