[Asterisk-Users] country code list

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Oct 10 22:12:58 MST 2005

I was wondering if anyone has put together a comprehensive list (that is
reasonably maintained) that lists country codes, landline numbers,
mobile numbers, etc.  The particular requirement is for a dialplan to
know what is going to be charged to whom.

For example, mobile and landline rates are the same in the US the US has
a unified numbering plan of 1NXXNXXXXXX, while the UK has:
441xxx geographic based landline
442xxx geographic based landline
443xx reserved
444xx reserved
445xx corp and voip
446xx reserved
447xx pagers, personal etc
448xx national rate, local rate, freephone, some mobile, blah
449xx premium services

Although I dont see something that states what a valid number actually
is.  So idealy to avoid getting charged a higher rate I would want to
limit all calls to the UK to region codes starting with a 1 or 2
(although from what I have seen most of the 2x is 20 for london).

I have found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code but I dont know if
its accurate, and would prefer a more authoritative source for the
information.  I also dont know how out of date that is, some countries
have easier telecom laws that allow people to set up phone companies
then change the rate form what was published for termination.  I
certainly dont wanna get stuck with a pass through billing situation on
those.

If anyone has a very well maintained list somewhere (voip-info didnt
seem to have anything, at least not the keywords I have tried with
google, admittedly I havent spent much time yet) ...  This has to be an
issue that voip resellers have to deal with so there must be lists
somewhere, although odds are those are rate sheets from the actual
provider doing the termination since very few countries own the wire all
the way to all those foreign countries, although more are starting to.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378